Month-long Tacloban fiesta celebration to start on Friday
TACLOBAN CITY- The festival organized by the city government relative to Tacloban fiesta is now set.
So says city information officer Bernardita “Bering” Valenzuela who added that the city police could guarantee the security of the people of the city as well as those who will come to see and enjoy the festivities.
Valenzuela said that all activities related to the annual city fiesta celebration have already been lined up with the start of the month-long celebration to formally start this Friday.
“Oh yes; everything is set (already). All officials of the city government are involved; they are either chairman or vice chair of certain committee,” Valenzuela said.
Among the activities identified by the organizing committee include dance and ballet recitals; two popular stage plays and the search for Miss Tacloban.
And for the first time in the history of the Tacloban fiesta, an “electric theme” parade will be seen by the public, Valenzuela said.
According to her, 20 floats aglow with specially-designed lights would participate a street parade a day before June 30, the fiesta of the city.
“This is a first of its kind not only in Tacloban but in the country. Each float will carry a theme…” Valenzuela said.
The city government and the organizers of another festival, Pintados-Kasadyaan Festivals of Festival are at odds with each other.
The city government, under Mayor Alfred Romualdez, has yet to issue a permit to the organizers of the twin-billed festival despite the latter’s application for a permit it submitted last January of this year.
In an earlier interview, Palo town Mayor and chairperson of the Kasadyaan Festival, Remedios “Matin” Petilla, said that they have decided not to stage any street and dance parade due to the refusal of the city government to issue them a permit.
Petilla added that they would not force themselves as what happened last year was still fresh to the minds of the public.
Last year, the group of Petilla and forces of Mayor Romualdez staged a confrontation after the latter refused to allow the festival contingents to use some city streets for their parade despite of a court order.
According to her, they would instead conduct the festivals presentations inside the Leyte Sports Center. (JOEY A. GABIETA)
Short URL: http://leytesamardaily.net/?p=28456